Sunday, June 26, 2011

Diving in Aqaba

Several of my friends and I traveled to the city of Aqaba this weekend, located on the southwest coast of Jordan on the Red Sea. We started the trip off joining 15 other people on a party bus, blasting music and dancing for almost the entirety of the four hour drive. The next day was spent enjoying the beauty of the Red Sea. We were able to go on a 20 minute scuba diving excursion (despite having a license), and it was simply amazing. It was scary at first, but we all dove one-on-one with an instructor who guided us the entire time. Exploring a sunken military tank, I caught a glimpse of a moray eel, numerous lion fish (potentially poisonous to even humans), and beautiful tropical fish. After the dive, we snorkeled and swam for a couple of hours, delighted to be in the clearest and most vibrant body of water I have ever witnessed.


Harbor of Aqaba

 Pre-Dive with my equipment on!
Elliot, Zach, Sam, and I chillin on the boat....Elliot hates candid pictures but loves his kafeea (male head scarf)

It is interesting to note that my group of friends were the only Americans on board the ship with an exception of one man from Atlanta who was working in Amman. Most of the people were Jordanian or European. This holds true to Amman as well, as the only Americans I have encountered have been students studying Arabic at the University or interning. Most of the non-Arab people here are European, and most Jordanians are surprised when they discover that we are Americans...just something that I have noticed in the past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment